Here are just a few puppy socialization and enrichment suggestions from my book.
- Hide food in boxes of all shapes and sizes.
- Put his food in food dispensing puzzle toys.
- Take you cushions off the sofa. Or stack them up.
- Rearrange the chairs from your dining room table
- Invite some puppies and dogs over for a puppy party. Make sure they are healthy, vaccinated, and like puppies.
- Invite some people over for a puppy party. Make sure they are healthy and vaccinated – just kidding!
- Give him different toys of different textures to play with.
- Put a laundry basket on its side for him to go in and out.
In Your Yard
- Landscaping of different heights and textures
- Floating toys, frozen treats, or ice cubes in a wading pool that he can go diving for
Outside your Yard
- Several years ago, I was looking through a catalogue for dog supplies and burst out laughing because there was a puppy stroller! How ridiculous. Now I don’t think it’s so ridiculous. In fact, it’s my favorite thing to introduce your puppy to many things safely.
- Take him for a ride in the car.
This was an excerpt from my book Puppy Socialization – An Insider’s Guide to Dog Behavioral Fitness. There are hundreds of suggestions on puppy socialization both for the breeder and the pet parent.
Click here for a Table of Contents.