AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Program
Wouldn’t you like this for your puppy?
Here’s how you can get it!
Although Doggie Manners is not presently offering AKC STAR puppy classes, but we do offer a course for puppies and dogs up to one year of age, whether pure bred or mixed breed, that will prepare your puppy or dog to pass the AKC program.
A key component of the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Program is a responsible owner. The Canine Good Citizen(sm) Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge is for both the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Program and the CGC Program. Responsibility should start the moment you decide to add a new dog or puppy to your family. Here’s a link to the AKC Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge.
How The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Puppy Classes Work
- You and your puppy attend a puppy or basic training course for at least six weeks.
- You and your puppy complete the basic training course geared to help you pass the test.
- I administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) test at the end of the course.
- You and your puppy pass the test.
- You apply to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Program.
- AKC accepts you and your puppy in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Program.
- Your puppy receives the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Medal (This medal is not a collar tag but for display.).
- You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) records.
In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) package that includes:
- A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
- AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource
- Discount to enroll in AKC Companion Animal Recovery Corporation, a 24-hour recovery service
- Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes.
Here are the requirements for the test.
20 STEPS To Success:
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy(sm) Test
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns).
Doggie Manners Los Angeles Puppy Dog Training
12021 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90025
Call or text (310) 804-2392.
Email us at caryl@DoggieManners.com